As everyone knows, to be able to perform as a great team, it is really important to use all their strengths! But how to use people's strengths?
A basketball coach made this very visible by using the pre-season. He would play the first team against the second team but positioned his first team in the complete opposite positions of their strengths. And the second team played in the tactics with the players in their strengths. 9 out of 10 times the second team won and made the first team humble again. No matter how talented someone is, they will never be able to perform at their best if they are in the wrong position. So it's important to use people's strengths.
This Gallup research concludes that employees who use their strengths are more engaged, perform better, are less likely to leave -- and boost your bottom line.
You can also first start with this practice to Design Team Roles.
1. Discuss with your team once a year, preferably before a goal-setting / KPI cycle, what are the strengths of the team members. And discuss what are the opposites, the ones that drain the energy levels.
2. Give great attention to the team process, the process is often more important than the direct output.
3. Match the strengths with the team roles and don't hesitate to adjust or make new roles to match someone's strengths. Check out this link to see how you can design team roles: http://prototyping.work/mastery/design-team-roles/
4. Most likely there will be gaps, there is no such thing as a 100% perfectly balanced team.
5. Identify with the team what is the added value of the activities that are associated with these gaps.
6. Use prototyping to solve the gaps. For example, by automating/robotize activities, train employees that have the ambition to grow to the gaps, search within the company for someone or hire new employees.
7. In the case you have a surplus of strengths for one position, then go cross-departmental or even cross companies/branches if needed. Better to use and develop someone's strengths than have them operating in the wrong position.
8. By putting people in their strengths in a more balanced team the engagement, collaboration and performance will increase significantly.
Happy people and teams that add value and love what they do!
More engaged employees
Do you want to start disrupting you workplace, download the Prototyping.work Canvas.
register_widget(), before they can be displayed. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 4.9.0.) in /www/prototypingwork_655/public/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5311
Want monthly inspiration, right into your mailbox? And get our Canvas for free. What are you waiting for, enter your mail address and we’ll keep you energized.